Removing broken glass mirrors is never an easy job – safety is paramount.
To remove broken glass I would recommend the following:
- Safety glasses – these only work if you wear them and are absolutely essential
- A heavy long sleeved shirt and trousers
- Boots or sturdy closed toe shoes
- Grippy gloves, with a rubberized palm and fingers, these will protect your hands and help grip the pieces of glass
- Next you need to get or make a wire saw approximately 18″ longer than your glass panel.
- To make your own, go to a fishing tackle store that specializes in big game fishing, buy some 200Lb plus braided wire or fishing braid
- Fishing braid is different from mono filament and has an inherent serration. Tell the tackle shop guys what you are using it for
- Tie this on to some 6 x 1” pieces or dowel or plastic handles, or better yet get the tackle shop guys to do it for you as there are some special knots that you may not know.
- With a heavy plastic drop sheet below your broken panel, saw through the glue starting in a top corner and working your wire/braid in a sawing motion until you have it on both sides of the glass.
- Continue down the broken panel with the same sawing motion, removing glass as you go.
- I can almost guarantee your saw will break a couple of times so be prepared with back ups.
- Also useful also in this procedure is a wide blade painters Knife and a hammer to get behind the smaller pieces.
- Please be vigilant in your clean up finishing with a vacuuming.
- Clean up a greater area than you can possible imagine the glass could reach, as it probably has done so
- Dispose of your glass carefully where it is out of easy reach. Re-cycle it if you can.
And that’s how we do it!